English speaking guy would like to know about SAM users' experiences
July 06, 2018 02:40PM
English speaking guy would like to know about SAM users' experiences #
geschrieben von: Doug Weatherbee
Datum: 05. Dezember 2005 16:21

Hi

I'm an english speaking guy living in Nova Scotia, Canada. Its very difficult to find any SAM owner experiences on the web in english. I'm hoping someone in this group might be able to help me.

I'd like to hear about about the experiences of actual SAM owners: how well does the SAM perform, how is the battery life, how does the SAM body/drive system hold up over time, etc. Any info in english would be very appreciated. Thanks you in advance.

Doug Weatherbee
Re: English speaking guy would like to know about SAM users' experiences
July 06, 2018 02:40PM
Re: English speaking guy would like to know about SAM users' experiences #
geschrieben von: Bernd Rische
Datum: 08. Dezember 2005 11:03

Hi Doug,

i hope my bad english is good enough, that you understand me ;-)
I am a german driver from until the 19.04.2004 and have driven now over 21.000km with the Sam.
The batteries are altough the problem in all electric-cars.
I am drive with cheaply batteries from SSB ([www.ssb-battery-service.com]).
With the first set of batteries from SSB i had ~6.500 km driven. The actualy set of SSB batteries is now ~8.500km in the SAM.
The SSB batteries is not so good as the Hawker Genesis. The range with the Hawker is ~40-50km in the summer. The SSB has a range from ~30-40km in the summer.
Both batteries are lead batteries, only one SAM (from JPKessler here in the forum) are build actualy with a new battery technologie with a range ~140km.
But he (and we ;-)) hope that he becomes the SAM with the new battery now.

But the best is the funny drive and i meat a lot of happy people they want speak over this car ;-)

So i hope i was a little help for you, but you can ask more when you want and my english is good enough to read this ;-)

Berny
July 06, 2018 02:41PM
Datum: 08. Dezember 2005 20:10

Berny, thank you very much for responding. You english is fine and I can understand you very well.

I am very interested in the SAM and would like to see it used here in Canada and the United States. I like the design of the cree SAM.

You mentioned you use the SSB battery. How much does your SSB battery cost?

I think JPKessler is using the Zebra battery in his SAM. Is this correct?

How much do the Zebra batteries cost? How many km does JPKessler think he will get before he has buy new Zebra batteries for his SAM? How many kWt does it take to fully charge the Zebra batteries in JPKessler's SAM?

Berny, thank you again for responding. There are some english yahoo.com electric vehicle newsgroups where the cree SAM has been talked about. People in North America are interested in the cree SAM.

Doug Weatherbee
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Canada
geschrieben von: JPKessler
Datum: 09. Dezember 2005 17:30

Hi Doug

my ZebraSAM drive maybe befor 2006...i hope so...

Detail Zebrabatterie:

U = 216V
I = 50 Ah
Energie in Batterie = 10 KW
Range: 120 - 140 km

Greatings from swizerland

JPK
Datum: 09. Dezember 2005 19:43

Thank you JPK for your reply. Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada!

This is very useful information.

I have heard that the Zebra battery for the SAM costs about 19,000 francs. Is that correct?

How long do you think your Zebra battery will last before you have to buy a new one?

Doug
geschrieben von: Dukey
Datum: 10. Dezember 2005 00:40

I am not well experienced in Zebra batteries but I think this kind of battery technology could stand more than 1000 cycles (over 100000km). I am not sure about the exact price but it is at least in this range.
As you can read above the implementation of the Zebra battery isn’t finished yet. There still same small issues to solve.
Even the normal SAM (with lead acid batteries) isn’t fully developed. That's because all available SAMs are out of a pre-stage series. I have my SAM since months and still I can discover nearly daily points to optimise.

After 2000km with my SAM I can sum up:
- driving SAM isn’t the most comfortable way to travel
- driving SAM isn’t the cheapest way to travel
- the SAM hasn’t the same reliability as a standard car
- driving SAM keeps you busy (there is always something to repair)
- driving SAM gets you in contact with other people (there is always something you have to explain)
- driving SAM keeps you smiling (that is why it is the best EV at least fore me!)

Best wishes to all SAM friends

Dukey
Germany
July 06, 2018 02:42PM
geschrieben von: JPKessler
Datum: 10. Dezember 2005 07:54

all that is true...

for me is my ZebraSAM the best way of mobility for the moment....i hope for the next 10 years (or to the next crash, maybe with a porsche cayenne)....

19000.- Francs, i think it is the last price....
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.